Mapped Drive Client Administrator Guide
The Mapped Drive Client allows easy editing of files from a traditional mapped drive from within applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat remotely from anywhere. Opening and editing design files, databases, programs and very large files is not supported. The desktop client can be deployed to enterprises using scripts and started automatically at login.
Direct MyWorkDrive Server Connection e.g.; https://yourserver.yourcompany.com
(Using the MyWorkDrive.net Cloud Connector Relay is NOT supported for the mapped drive client)
If you are using SSL (recommended), TLS 1.2 and an SSL certificate are required. Self Signed certificates are not supported. You will receive errors which will prevent logins if TLS 1.2 and an SSL certificate are not available.
MyWorkDrive Server 4.0 or higher, Windows 8-10
MyWorkDrive Server 4.0 or higher
MAC OS 10.11 El Capitan or higher
OSXFUSE framework: Download it here
Mapped Drive Features
- Optimized for MyWorkDrive Servers for blazing fast file transfers and listings without WebDAV
- Directory caching
- Very large directory support – support for file servers with 1000’s of sub-folders
- File Locking
- Remote Access Size Limit Enforcement
- DUO Two Factor Authentication ( Enterprise License Required )
Download and complete setup. If needed setup will install .net 4.5.1 ( Windows 7 PC’s ).
Download zip, extract and complete setup. Launch MyWorkDrive from applications.
Begin Login by typing your MyWorkDrive web address, then click connect:
Once you click connect your server settings will be retrieved and you may then login using username/password or SAML depending on your server settings.
Optional: Click “Remember Me” to save your username and password and “Map at Startup” to map your MyWorkDrive on system restart.
Windows Logoff: Locate the MWD icon in the system tray, right mouse click and choose log off.
IT Administrator Settings and Windows Scripted Install Notes
The mapped drive option may be disabled in the admin panel to prevent usage (forcing users to use only the web file manager only for example).
Additional Admin panel settings include preventing password saving and blocking or allowing only certain file types. If file types are blocked in the Windows Mapped Drive client users will get a warning message if they attempt to access, upload or download blocked file extensions. On the Mac Mapped Drive client blocked file types will not be show.
When using the Whitelist option to allow only certain file type (for example office) it is required to permit .tmp files as these are needed during the Office file creation and locking processes.
Mapper Client Installation Scripting Options
-y turns on silent extraction (This item must be 1st command line option specified)
-q turns on silent installation of MWD mapper client (This must be 2nd command line option specified)
-s specify the server URL e.g. https://share.yourcompany.com and retrieve company logo
-d Drive letter to be used
-r remember me option selected
-m map at startup selected
-p do not clear “show frequently used files and folders” option in file explorer quick access
-u username (pre-enter currently logged on user’s name on first launch)
-u %variable% – populate username field with any built in or custom windows variable
Example 1: Silent install: MyWorkDrive-Client-Windows-5-1-0-.exe -y -q
Example 2: Silent Install with all options chosen and pre-entered for user except password: MyWorkDrive-Client-Windows-5-1-0-.exe -y -q -s https://yourserver.yourdomain.com -u username -d T -r -m
Mapper Client Command Line Launch Options
-s <yourMWDServerURL> populates the company server URL and if available downloads companies custom logo
-u “current” uses current credential to login to mapper client for domain joined pc’s only on an internal network that can reach a domain controller only.
-u %variable% – populate username field with any built in or custom windows variable for example -u %username% for the current users username
-d Drive letter to be used.
-q Silently map the drive (when used in combination with -u current or -r)
-p Do not clear “show frequently used files and folders” option in file explorer quick access
-r Use saved settings for login (-u not required)
-x silently un-map and close the mapped drive client application
Example – Specify the server address and drive letter “T” only – the user would only need to enter their username and password:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Wanpath\MyWorkDrive-Client-Windows\MyWorkDrive.Client.Windows.Desktop\MappedDrive.Client.Windows.Desktop.exe” ” -s https://yourserver.yourdomain.com -d T
Example – populates all fields for user to login with current username. User only needs to enter their password.
“”C:\Program Files (x86)\Wanpath\MyWorkDrive-Client-Windows\MyWorkDrive.Client.Windows.Desktop\MappedDrive.Client.Windows.Desktop.exe” ” -s https://yourserver.yourdomain.com -u %username% -d T
Example – batch file that checks if existing drive T is already mapped and if not proceeds with loading the mapped drive client as drive T with server address and inputs current user’s login name:
IF EXIST T:\ GOTO no
ELSE GOTO yes
cd “C:\Program Files (x86)\Wanpath\MyWorkDrive-Client-Windows\MyWorkDrive.Client.Windows.Desktop”
start MappedDrive.Client.Windows.Desktop.exe -s https://yourserver.yourdomain.com -d T -u %username% -q
IT Administrator Mac settings deployment
The Mac Mapped Drive client supports placing a config.xml file in the user’s documents folder to specify default settings on first launch. Once the user saves their settings it is no longer used.
The config.xml file should be creating using the following format:
<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”UTF-8″?>
URL = your company MyWorkDrive Web Address
rememberMe = 0 for disable, 1 for enable
mapAtStartup = 0 for disable, 1 for enable
username = User’s Active Directory domain user login username.
The -u current option provides the ability to map the drive using the currently logged on users credentials for domain joined PC on an internal network. The user’s PC must be able to connect to a domain controller to authenticate the user. Future support is being added for other SSO providers including Azure AD/Office 365.
- The command line option -u current option will not function when MyWorkDrive is installed on a Windows Domain Controller (this is due to how Windows handles impersonation and authentication).
- To use the command line option “-u current” when shares are not located directly on the MyWorkDrive (MWD) server, delegation must be setup in Active directory on the MyWorkDrive server: See our delegation article here.
- The command line option -u current should only be used internally since it requires connectivity to a domain controller to authenticate users.
Known Issues & Pending Enhancements
- MyWorkDrive is terminal server/remote desktop server aware starting with Windows version 126.96.36.199
- Adobe, AutoCad graphics design type products – InDesign, Creative Suite, etc are not supported when using our mapped drive client or any network drives – See Adobe Article.
- Opening file types such as Databases, PST’s, Quickbooks, Accounting systems, etc are not supported over the mapped drive client.
- Like any remote access solution, when remotely editing files through the mapped drive use caution and ensure there is adequate bandwidth. System administrators can limit file size on the admin panel.
- Shortcut in File Explorer menu is optional under settings as on slow networks Windows PC’s attempt to display contents of mapped drive directories any time explorer is launched.
- Show recently used files and folders in Quick Access is disabled to prevent Windows File Explorer from attempting to access mapped drive locations on initial load. This can be disabled in settings.
- Opening OneNote Files using the MWD mapped drive client is not supported. Some customers have had success by disabling automatic syncing in OneNote prior to opening any files – Any OneNote files opened over a MWD mapped drive will be recognized a being opened from a network drive and will attempt to sync using SMB creating a corrupt file error message.
- When using the Mac Mapped Drive client, if you get drive mounting errors even after restarting, check the System Preferences->Security & Privacy on your Mac. Ensure that OSX Fuse and MyWorkDrive are allowed to run without restrictions.
- Antivirus software should set to exclude the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Wanpath\MyWorkDrive-Client-Windows” folder and sub-folders to prevent file corruption and slowness issues.