SAML Single Sign On Manual Configuration
MyWorkDrive SAML Manual Configuration Overview
Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) is an open standard for exchanging authentication and authorization data between parties, specifically – between an identity provider and a service provider. As its name implies, SAML is an XML-based markup language for security assertions (statements that service providers use to make access-control decisions).
MyWorkDrive Server 5.0 supports SAML based Web File Manager Single Sign On (SSO) in addition to ADFS (which is configured separately). For SAML, MyWorkDrive acts as a Service Provider (SP) while the partner acts as the identity provider (IdP) for example: Shibboleth, OneLogin, Centrify, Azure AD, OKTA, etc.
Preconfigured SAML Setup Guides
Several SAML providers are preconfigured in MyWorkDrive and use a simplified setup process. Please visit the following articles for setup of Azure AD, Okta and OneLogin. It is not necessary nor recommended to manually configure MyWorkDrive for these providers.
Manual SAML Prerequisites
- Ensure users have a upn suffix applied for domain name to match SAML Provider Login name so they can login to your MyWorkDrive server with their email address.
- Ensure the MyWorkDrive server is trusted for delegation as per our Delegation Article
- Setup your own public SSL Certificate and Hostname pointing to your MyWorkDrive Server over port 443 (SSL) (using our *.myworkdrive.net domain is not supported) and ensure your server is publicly accessible. View Support Article.
The following explains the user login flow to MyWorkDrive from an identity provider (IdP):
- It is assumed all users are logging into the ldP using their UPN Suffix (eg @yourdomain.com) and it matches their Active Directory username UPN.
- Your MyWorkDrive server is using your own host name and SSL Certificate (*.MyWorkDrive.net is not supported for SAML).
- The user clicks the MyWorkDrive assertion consumer service URL (eg. https://YourMWDserver.yourdomain.com/SAML/AssertionConsumerService.aspx) as the single sign-on URL.
- If the user is not already logged into the ldP the MyWorkDrive server redirects the user to the SSL service to sign-in.
- Once confirmed the IdP service generates a valid SAML response and redirects the user back to MyWorkdrive to verify the SAML response.
- If the user authentication is successfully validated, they are automatically logged into their companies MyWorkDrive Web File Manager.
SAML SSL MyWorkDrive Server Configuration Steps
To successfully configure SAML on MyWorkDrive server the following manual steps are necessary:
IdP Service Configuration
- Create a SAML configuration at the IdP referencing the MyWorkDrive:
- Specify the assertion consumer service URL (e.g. https://YourMWDserver.yourdomain.com/SAML/AssertionConsumerService.aspx) as the single sign-on URL.
- Specify the Audience URI (SP Entity ID) – enter “MyWorkDrive” as the audience URI.
- Specify the single logout service URL (eg https://YourMWDServer.yourdomain.com/SAML/SLOService.aspx) as the logout URL.
- Specify the SP Issuer. This is the local service provider name – Enter “MyWorkDrive”.
- Download the ldP certificate and place in C:\Wanpath\WanPath.Data\Settings\Certificates
MyWorkDrive Server Configuration
- Update the SAML config located in C:\Wanpath\WanPath.Data\Settings to un-comment out the <PartnerIdentityProvider> entry for your IdP.
- Export your public SSL Certificate matching your MyWorkDrive host name as referenced in your IdP with a password and place the SL Certificate PFX export file into C:\Wanpath\WanPath.Data\Settings\Certificates and reference it in the service provider section with the password you used during the export.
- In the identity provider section: Set the Name to the identity provider issuer. This value is also known as the metadata entityID.
- In the Identity provider section: Set the SingleSignOnServiceUrl to the identity provider single sign-on URL.
- In the Identity provider section: Set the SingleLogoutServiceUrl to the identity provider single logout URL.
- Update the identity provider PartnerCertificateFile section with the complete path and name of the identity providers certificate file.
The partner identity provider configuration section should be similar to the following saml.conf
<!– Okta –>
<PartnerIdentityProvider Name=” http://www.okta.com/exkxxxxxxsyyyyyzzzz55″
The Service provider section configuration should be similar to the following saml.conf
Description=”MWD Service Provider” AssertionConsumerServiceUrl=”~/SAML/AssertionConsumerService.aspx” LocalCertificateFile=”C:\Wanpath\WanPath.Data\Settings\Certificates\yourdomain.pfx”