Upgrading MyWorkDrive Server Guide
Upgrading MyWorkDrive Server
MyWorkDrive server is designed to be upgraded in place. Upgrades are free to licensed clients, we do not charge a fee for upgrades or a software maintenance fee for access to upgrades.
- Download the new version of MyWorkDrive server from the portal
- Launch the installer and complete the install
- Reboot the MyWorkDrive server
MyWorkDrive server requires an reboot upon completion and will disconnect open connections during the upgrade. You are encouraged to complete this process at a time when connections are closed and a reboot is possible. Leaving the server pending a reboot is not advised.
The MyWorkDrive install process for upgrades will preserve all of your existing settings and migrate/apply them to the new version. Unless otherwise noted by the installer or release notes, you will have a fully functional server after reboot and process startup.
The startup process will take several minutes longer than the operating system reboot and you may receive a message on the admin or web client consoles if you attempt to immediately re-connect after reboot that the services are starting up and to please wait.
- Upgrades and downgrades within the same version, ie 5.2.0 to 5.2.1 to 5.2.4 to 5.2.3 will work seamlessly.
- Upgrades to newer versions, ie 5.2.1 to 5.3.0 will also work seamlessly, unless otherwise noted by the installer or the release notes.
- Downgrades to previous versions, ie 5.3.2 to 5.2.1 are not advised without consulting MyWorkDrive and will result in the loss of any features, enhancements of functionality introduced in the newer version. Additionally, you may encounter licensing issues when going back to prior versions, and you are strongly encouraged to contact support prior to downgrading.
As always, it is prudent to backup any data stored on the server. We do not recommend keeping your shares local to the MyWorkDrive server or running any other applications on the same server, but if you do, you are strongly encouraged to back them up prior to upgrading.
If your server is version 5.2 or later, please use the export feature in the settings section of server administration to save a copy of your settings prior to upgrading. See the Backup MyWorkDrive settings section of the Server Guide for additional details.
For clients on version 5.1 or earlier, please backup a copy of the c:\wanpath folder to retain your settings. You cannot use these files directly by copying them into a newly installed server, but elements of them can be used in conjunction with MyWorkDrive Support to rebuild a file server in case the server data is lost or corrupted.
For version 5.2 and later, you are also strongly encouraged to enable the option titled “Automatically backup my configuration and error reports to MyWorkDrive for support purposes.” in the settings section of Server Admin to ensure a copy of your settings file is preserved.
If you have any questions about upgrading your MyWorkDrive server please contact support prior to upgrading.