Upgrading MyWorkDrive Server Guide
Upgrading MyWorkDrive Server
MyWorkDrive server is designed to be upgraded in place. Upgrades are free to licensed clients, we do not charge a fee for upgrades or a software maintenance fee for access to upgrades.
Before you begin
- Download the new version of MyWorkDrive server installer from the portal
- Backup your settings. Either by making a manual backup of the settings folder in c:\wanpath\Wanpath.Data or, if your upgrading from version 5.2 or later, using the Export feature in settings. Note that you cannot copy any of the files in settings back into a newer install to “fix” it, however you can use pieces of the saved files to ease in disaster recovery. See the Backup MyWorkDrive settings section of the Server Guide for additional details.
- Have your license key handy. In some instances you may need to re-apply your license key in settings after upgrade. You can retrieve your license key by logging into the portal at https://www.myworkdrive.com/login with your licensed email. Contact support if you do not know your login email or need help retrieving your License Key.
- Review the release notes so you are aware of changes and new features.
We would always encourage you to test the new version of the server in a QA or Lab environment prior to upgrading any production servers.
Conducting the Upgrade
The install is designed to be run on the existing server. You do not need to stop any services or make any changes. Just run the downloaded server update installer.
Depending on versions you are upgrading from, you will get different prompts to confirm during the upgrade.
MyWorkDrive server can take several minutes. You are encouraged to complete this process at a time when connections are closed and a reboot is possible. Leaving the server pending a reboot is not advised.
The MyWorkDrive install process for upgrades will preserve all of your existing settings and migrate/apply them to the new version. Unless otherwise noted by the installer or release notes, you will have a fully functional server after Setup completes.
You may receive a message on the admin or web client consoles if you attempt to immediately re-connect after the upgrade that the services are starting up and to please wait.
- Upgrades and downgrades within the same version, ie 5.2.0 to 5.2.1 to 5.2.4 to 5.2.3 will work seamlessly.
- Upgrades to newer versions, ie 5.2.1 to 5.3.0 will also work seamlessly, unless otherwise noted by the installer or the release notes.
- Downgrades to previous versions, ie 5.3.2 to 5.2.1 are not advised without consulting MyWorkDrive and will result in the loss of any features, enhancements or functionality introduced in the newer ver