FTP continues to be a primary access method for enabling remote access, fast file transfers and public sharing. Unfortunately, the options for Windows File Server FTP security are a choice between best practices and ease of use. It’s easy to configure methods that provide fast access using traditional FTP Server access such as the built-in Windows IIS Server FTP service however security is poor and user must install and learn how to use FTP client software. Although great for fast transfers, by default all FTP network communications are in clear text – including passwords. Solving this issue involves adding TLS SSL certificates to the server through the use of 3rd party software. Unfortunately, since browser clients do not support secure FTP communications IT must also manage the additional support burden of assisting users with the installation, configuration and training of secure FTP client software.
MyWorkDrive replaces FTP with our cloud add-on server module for Windows File Servers. All network communications occur over https using SSL certificates instead of FTP. From a support perspective IT simply makes our Web Browser site available to users for easy Web File Access with no software to be installed or configured – reducing the related support costs around FTP. The MyWorkDrive web file manager client is engineered to handle unlimited file sizes through our chunked upload capabilities. With MyWorkDrive a traditional File Server is immediately converted into a secure replacement for FTP Servers while giving Enterprises the best of both worlds – local based secure and fast access and an easy to use Web File Manager browser client loaded with the additional Cloud Services users have come to expect. Enterprises can additionally enable two factor authentication through our DUO.com integration for even great security – something not available when utilizing FTP Servers and FTP client software. Enterprises can deploy our server software to enable secure online cloud file access and transfers without FTP security risks or support costs including:
- Browser Based File Web Manager from Anywhere instead of FTP Clients
- Online Collaboration in Office 365 keeps files stored on the File Server
- Edit documents using full local office keeps files stored on the File Server
- Secure Mobile Client Access (iPad, iPhone & Android)
- Secure Internal File Sharing Links
- External Public File Sharing using OneDrive limits internal server exposure
- Two Factor Authentication (2FA)
How it works:
The System Administrator simply installs MyWorkDrive on a standard Windows Server joined to a Windows Active Directory Domain. MyWorkDrive connects to the existing Active Directory database out of the box. The Systems Administrator then logs in as a domain administrator and enables existing Windows File Shares to be made available within MyWorkDrive. Existing NTFS Permissions, Users and Groups are inherited – reducing administration and duplicate effort. Once the file server shares are published, an https secured website (instead of FTP) is then made accessible to users turning a traditional windows file server into a robust secure Web File Manager portal accessible from anywhere. All files remain on the Windows File Server – nothing is stored on MyWorkDrive Servers, even when editing documents online in Office 365.
Business Benefits of MyWorkDrive Web File Manager FTP Server Replacement:
- Eliminate overhead and support issues of VPN, FTP servers, and FTP Clients
- Reduce data leakage by keeping files stored on local servers – even when opened in Office 365
- Access files remotely using any web browser, iPad, iPhone, Android, or any other device
- Enabled Two Factor Authentication for additional Security beyond simple passwords or FTP
- Collaborate with business partners by leveraging OneDrive Licensing for Public File Sharing
- No external public users to maintain like in traditional FTP Servers
- Reduce support costs by leveraging Existing File Permissions, Users & Groups
- Monitor file usage with real-time access logging
- Ensure data security by retaining control of data access, storage & backup retention
MyWorkDrive is written with the Enterprise Windows Systems Administrator in mind – everything is Windows Based, utilizes IIS Web Server and is written in .net. Our solution is designed and engineered by San Francisco based Intivix.com engineers with over 25 years of real-world Windows File Server Remote Access, FTP and SSL VPN systems administration experience.